The Professor Ronald M and Dr Catherine H Berndt Research Foundation supports Australian Aboriginal social and cultural anthropology research.In 1994 the Professor Ronald M and Dr Catherine H Berndt Research Foundation was established from a sum of money bequeathed to the University by Professor Ronald M and Dr Catherine H Berndt for the purpose of "encouraging and supporting research in the discipline of Australian Aboriginal Social and Cultural Anthropology", and to co-operate with Anthropology in the furtherance of social and cultural anthropological research in the area of Aboriginal Australia.
The Berndt Foundation’s activities include:
- the provision of competitively based research grants for graduate students working in the area of Australian Indigenous social and cultural anthropology
- the award of Professor Ronald M and Dr Catherine H Berndt Research Foundation Prizes
- the Berndt Foundation Memorial lecture (held on a biennial basis)
- support for the journal Anthropological Forum
Awards and scholarships
In the past, the Foundation has provided a nationally competitive postdoctoral fellowship for an anthropologist working in the area of Indigenous Australia (awarded to Katie Glaskin 2002-2005), and in 2016 it established a PhD scholarship, the UWA Berndt Postgraduate Scholarship, which also supports research in the field of social and cultural anthropology in Aboriginal Australia.
Professor Ronald M and Dr Catherine H Berndt Research Foundation Members include the following positions:
- Chair – (nominee of the Discipline Chair) Dr Katie Glaskin, Associate Professor in Anthropology UWA
- Executive Officer – Dr Vanessa Russ, Associate Director, Berndt Museum
- Professor Peter Davies, Pro-Vice Chancellor (Research), nominee of the Vice-Chancellor
- Dr John Stanton, Trustee of the Estate of Catherine H Berndt, Adjunct Professor, School of Social Science
- Professor David Trigger, Professor of Anthropology, School of Social Science, University of Queensland; Adjunct Professor of Anthropology, School of Social Science, UWA
- Ms Violet Bacon, Co-opted member
- Dr Greg Acciaioli, Lecturer Anthropology and Sociology – UWA, Co-opted member